Is it like you are someone who feels that you are suffering from work life depression but unable to speak up about this before friends and family?
You browsed through the Internet looking for the cases that resemble your conditions? You found out dramatic and way too serious cases where people get frequent panic attacks and their depression ends up with hospitalization and medication and this made you feel that you are simply exaggerating things and it’s better to keep all these weird feelings within yourself as no one will ever understand.
And this way you keep living with that churning feeling all the time without even speaking up and getting more and more depressed and gloomier day by day. Do you know who would this harm the most? It’s certainly you.
Do you feel this?
1. You wake up in the morning feeling hopeless and depressed unwilling to go to work and it feels like your stomach is churning out of nervousness and lack of confidence. You simply wish to run away from the situation, vanish from the world or leave the job that day itself.
2. You are working just because you need money to pay your bills. Deep down at your heart you know that you are made to do greater things with your skills than to work for fifty hours every week under a supervisor.
3. You feel that you are losing control and you can never live your life in your own terms and this is the dead end. You look out of your office window and admire the blue sky and think that why the hell can’t you enjoy the sunset being outside the office boundaries.
4. You are upset for you find no time to follow your passion and try to find out ways to save even those extra twenty minutes from your working hours in a day.
5. You are easily inspired by a new idea or a business plan and feel so energetic and hopeful till the work pressure and monotony overshadows your determination.
6. You easily get demotivated too. That’s why we are easily depressed, right? A little streak of a bad feeling strikes and the whole ship sinks.
7. You are a procrastinator at work, maybe you like your work but you hate the working environment. You decide to do something related to your hobby and passion and tend to put it on tomorrow as you gradually lose interest.
8. Things are turning unimportant in your life. There are friends, family members, food and parties but they just exist. They simply exist and don’t matter much.
If you feel somewhat same then you are probably into it. But people need to understand that this is not merely being sad or unhappy with your job. This is something much deeper than this. For a person going through this is neither happy nor sad. There is a strange void one lives in where nothing seems to be interesting for more than a few days. Hope fades fast and life seems so directionless. This is serious and hence, to be taken very seriously.
I am going through this since a few months. I wake up every morning with a heavy heart and utmost reluctance to go to my office. I don’t like people there just because they are a part of my work place. While commuting to my office I look at the people on the roads not wearing any ID cards and this makes me jealous of them. A part of this depression is caused by the poor work culture and management, a part of it is a created by my own brain. There isn’t everyone suffering through this. How could they undergo this work pressure and working conditions? A few people are more prone to get doomed into depression as compared to others although they have faced similar troubles in their childhood or adulthood. Many people like you and me are facing this. It is nothing to feel ashamed or anything bad about being in such a state as it is a real issue and not just a fad.
People around us preach us to not to be depressed by simply saying “don’t be depressed, think good, be happy” as if depression was chosen by people suffering through it and as if they don’t try their best to get out of it. We certainly do but we fail every time. There must have been numerous attempts in the lives of the depressed employees at work to think positive about their work place and people around and equal number of failures in them.
So, what should we do? Just be as we are, giving up on life? I don’t know if there are tested and tried ways to overcome this but I know that I cannot wait for the day of joy to come in my life. Who knows that it never comes and all of this comes to an end before I could realize the goodness of the gift of life. Till when would we wait for the inspiration to come?
I just came across this video on Youtube a few months ago and then I decided not to wait for desire or motivation to come into my life and just chose to act without that. We don’t need inspiration to act but only a decision to act. And within a few weeks after that my self-hosted WordPress site took its shape and I decided to take blogging seriously (I had been blogging since a while but never gave it the required attention). I customized the theme, created WordPress multisite network, created a business email and started learning various blogging tips which I will try to put into action (and I do all this after spending ten hours in office every day). After spending my time with various video tutorials, inspirational bloggers and digital entrepreneurs online, I feel joy in blogging. I am still depressed, even while writing this. But there is a something which has improved. There is a direction which I can see sitting here at my place. Blogging and sharing my ideas and to help people is what I find hope in. Same way, you too can just decide to act and create a possibility for inspiration to come rather than to wait for desire to knock at your door and then act as what I have learnt from my experience is that desire comes from getting indulged into actions. I guess, this is the key for those who are living under depression, ‘behavior creates desire’ and it doesn’t work the other way round for people like us.